• Ghelyn B
    Hi guys!

Can you explain to me what's the difference between POP and IMAP? What would be the best to use if I am running a business where I send invoices via email?
  • Syamraj K
    IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol)

IMAP allows you to access your email wherever you are, from any device. When you read an email message using IMAP, you aren't actually downloading or storing it on your computer; instead, you're reading it from the email service. As a result, you can check your email from different devices, anywhere in the world: your phone, a computer, a friend's computer.

IMAP only downloads a message when you click on it, and attachments aren't automatically downloaded. This way you're able to check your messages a lot more quickly than POP.

POP (Post Office Protocol)

POP works by contacting your email service and downloading all of your new messages from it. Once they are downloaded onto your PC or Mac, they are deleted from the email service. This means that after the email is downloaded, it can only be accessed using the same computer. If you try to access your email from a different device, the messages that have been previously downloaded won't be available to you.

The decision to choose from Either of them rests with as its based on your preferences. Personally, I prefer IMAP due to its flexibility & ability to access the Emails anywhere without the restriction to a particular device.
  • Ghelyn B
    @Syamraj K

Thanks for the info! I read somewhere that in POP there is an option to "Leave a copy of messages in the server" and configure how many days the email will be deleted on the server. If so, will it be deleted on my email application as well or just on the server?
  • Syamraj K
    @Ghelyn B The deletion will happen only for the copy that you left in Server. The Local copy will stay intact.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Hello Internet Forum!

Hello Internet Forum - Know an answer? Answer by signing up ;)