• mari
    Hi! I'd like to build a website soon and I am still thinking on what niche should my website will focus on. For those who already have a website on their own, I was wondering how did you choose on the category of your website and domain name? Would like to have some tips so that it'll be easy somehow to decide on the topic and the domain name. Thank you.

• Eric Clifford
    Hi @mari I guess it has to start on what are you really passionate about. I truly believe that passion is a key factor for success. Passion keeps us motivated, passion helps us to keep us interested in learning and develope our skill sets within a particular niche.When you’re not passionate about the topic that you’re blogging about, your readers cant pick up on it. And if you don’t really care all that much…Can you honestly expect your readers to care that much either? And as soon as you will find it, you would know how to take it to the next level; monetized. I hope this helps.
  • Faisal Asghar
    HI @mari
    Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a niche for your website
    1. What are you passionate about?
    2. Is the niche profitable?
    3. What are your strengths?
    4. What can you bring to the niche?
    5. Don’t Make Your Blog Niche Too Narrow
  • Syamraj K
    @Mari While I do understand the logic & the strategy behind the instructions shared by our Fellow members, I don't completely agree with the Idea of following your passion always.

You Idea & Focus should always be on something that can be monetized, whether you are passionate about it or not is secondary. Because if you take up an Idea which you are passionate about, but doesn't get you any revenue you will not be as passionate on it as you were before. On the other hand, if you pick something random and make it profitable, it will automatically get added to your list of passions.

Creating a set of Personas before of your target Audience & your Acquisition Strategy would also be judging factor. As you know, even though if you have an excellent Idea, if you can't drive traffic to your store it really doesn't make sense.

So my Advice is to find the right Niche, that's Popular, Monetizable but doesn't have too much of competition.
  • Faye
    Hi @mari,

It depends on your interests and goals. Some people may opt for blogs if they love travelling.
    If you want to expand the reach of your business, you can create an e-commerce site.
    I had a personal website before. I created it because I just want to practice my programming skills.
    I think the best advice I could give is to think of the things that interest you. Maybe you could share your interests so that we can suggest something.

Thanks,
    Faye
  • Faye
    Hi @mari,

It depends on your interests and goals. Some people may opt for blogs if they love travelling.
    If you want to expand the reach of your business, you can create an e-commerce site.
    I had a personal website before. I created it because I just want to practice my programming skills.
    I think the best advice I could give is to think of the things that interest you. Maybe you could share your interests so that we can suggest something.

Thanks,
    Faye
  • Rabia Riaz
    It's good to choose a particular niche. Some benefits of targeting a particular niche:
    1. Your website/blog will be specific.
    2. People having same interest/need will reach to your website.
    3. You can discuss or share interesting things that people have an interest in it.
    4. It is far easier to manage a particular niche rather than a general niche.
    5. If you are running a discussion forum, then you have a choice to make some members as your forum's admins or moderators. This will help reduce the burden on your shoulders.
  • Kapil
    It's an important decision, you need to be very careful while choosing your domain name. The number 1 mistake most people make when they start out and even experienced bloggers make is choosing the wrong niche. It usually goes one of two ways.

• The niche category should be of the interest you are passionate about.
    • The niche should be profitable.

Choosing the right niche for your website is really important. Pick the wrong niche and you could just end up wasting an incredible amount of your time.

By thinking about how passionate you are, what your strengths are and which niches are going to be profitable you can cut out a lot of the disappointment and put yourself on the right track from the start.

And I think the expert team of hello.co would help you in getting the domain most relevant to your choice & interest.
  • aziza khan
    Hello @mari, I am interested to let you know all things about niche/category but once you let me know your interest in which you want to grow your business.

choosing a category is like a business you want to proceed with. So I will wait for the business category from you side.
  • satish
    Hi Mari
    In now days everyone wants to grow their business but sometime they will takes wrong decisions due to lack a right guidelines . So if you wants to grow your business and wants to generate traffic on your business. Then you always needs to keeps the customer needs in your mind.Some time peoples do what they wants to do , what they like .But its not necessary that customer will what you like . so always keeps the customers interest in your mind while starting up a new business
  • Alyssa
    I think that first it is important to focus on your interests. After that, use a keyword planner to look at how often the niches you are considering are being searched. A keyword with 3,000-10,000 searches per month is a good place to start in my opinion.
  • OliviaAccepted Answer
    Hi Mari,

Well it is best to ask yourself first on what your goals are. If you simply want to have a site where you share your experiences and be of help to others then you can easily set up a blog and that's it. More like a personal online journal. Do you intend to earn and gain more profits in the future? If so, you may need to choose a profitable niche. This may mean not going for what you are passionate about and just selecting a niche with a more financial potential. Make sure though that you are capable, interested and have at least knowledge to maintain this niche in order to be successful.

It's not a problem if you are not too keen with the subject or topic, but you should be passionate in being driven to each what your goals are. If you want profit, then make sure that you work hard in providing relevant content for your site, optimize it and do the methods to increase your online presence.
  • mari
    Thank you for all your inputs. It somehow helped me think about what my goal really is and that's to monetize the site. I can't think of anything that really interest me as of the moment so I like the idea of thinking what other people likes. I prefer focusing on just one niche as it is hard to keep up with the trend if you have different topics on the site.
    I am so glad that I've asked this question here because your answers will help other forum members too who are struggling about what topic to use. As for me, I'd probably look for something that talks about money. I still need to dig deeper about that topic though and see if people has an interest on it X-) .
  • jake81
    Yes Mari, niche selection is easy, but the challenge lies on how long you will be interested in preserving it, how you could keep up with the demands of maintaining it and finding ways on how to optimize your site so you could reach your targeted audience or market and eventually earn. It is therefore important that you give time in selecting your niche and making a plan on how to execute it. There are so many ideas and online methods that you could utilize to succeed. If you are not an expert in your chosen niche, I suggest that you read books or online resources that relate to it or reach out to the expert ones. Good luck Mari!
  • mari

Thanks Jake. That's actually the most important part, to maintain the website's content very interesting to readers and visitors. I don't have a knack for writing so most probably I'll need to hire writers to write the content which will also cost me. I really need to have a plan before I start working on this if I didn't want to it to go to waste.
  • Rabia Riaz
    WOW! Nice and descriptive answer....
  • Rabia Riaz
    Customers should the first priority of any business.
  • Rabia Riaz
    Keyword research is a good option. But I would suggest that you should also use some other Tools that lets you know Trends emerging all over the internet like Google Trends.
  • jake81
    No worries Mari. Indeed, it is quite easy to choose a niche but a tad difficult maintaining that level of drive and enthusiasm so it should be an area that you are interested in. Another thing to consider is to constantly monitor and find ways on how to increase your visibility and making your content and engagement with your readers and followers always exciting so you could keep them. Be sure to hire writers that provide good, well-written content that is also SEO-optimized. Would be best to stick to a budget especially now that you are still starting. It's a great idea that you intend to plan carefully. I wish you the best in this endeavor Mari!
  • mari

Thanks Jake. I'll keep everyone's suggestion in mind. I am still working on my skills so hopefully I am able to set and start this plan soon. I am informed that this plan requires a lot of time and attention too so I expect that everything won't be that easy to begin with.
  • M Noman Ajmal
    Hello Mari
    You first need to choose the niche and area you are interested in. Then answer the following questions yourself
    1. Will the niche generate profit?
    2. AM I ready to face consequences in either case?
    3. What are the innovation I am bringing?
    4. How this is helping people?

After this you need to Identify the strengths and weaknesses, study your competitors and niche, Establish a business plan about how will you promote it, get focus attract people of targeted niche.

I hope this helps
    Regards,
    M Noman Ajmal
  • Alyssa
    Hi Mari,

I wanted to put in my two cents here. A lot of the things that others have mentioned are correct, but I wanted to mention this point. When choosing a niche, be cautious. You don't want to choose something that no one is searching for. Rule of thumb is anything with 5,000-50,000 (depending on how much work you're prepared to do) searches is a good start.
  • mari
    Thank you very much everyone for your inputs. Just want to let you know that I am considering all what you say in this thread and would like to apply everything as much as possible. Will definitely let you know soon how this plan of mine works out.
    I am currently continuing a niche based on my interest. I've actually bought a domain a year ago but wasn't able to continue working on it because I lack time. I realized that before I build another one, I must finish the first one I bought because that'll be a waste of money if I don't. Let's see how far I'll go on building and promoting it since it's a topic I am really interested at the moment.
  • Olivia
    That is indeed a great suggestion! I do notice that some niches do lack blogs and resources that support or cater to them. It is best that Alyssa will do an extensive research on how to pick from the long tail niches.

If you need to stick to a niche that is close to your heart, regardless if it is a popular one or not, make sure that you really work hard in building it. Who knows? Yours might become the top website that stands out versus trying to compete in a saturated niche. Good luck! We would appreciate if you could also update us. :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Hello Internet Forum!

Hello Internet Forum - Know an answer? Answer by signing up ;)