• M Noman Ajmal
    Hello. I am unable to connect to FTP.
    I have connected earlier and uploaded my website but when I try now. I keep getting various errors, from 421 to this one: "Operation timed out (Read failed). The connection attempt was rejected. The server may be down, or your network may not be properly configured."

Can you please help? I am going nuts. Chat is offline.
  • Rabia Riaz
    Noman, Good Day! I think there might be many reasons why you are not connected with your FTP.
    This one reason which comes in my mind is:

If port 21 is open, it sounds like a firewall issue more than anything else. But that said, do you know if the FTP server you are using is using passive ports? Some FTP server & firewall combos need the passive ports open as well as port 21.

Passive ports are typically set on the FTP server side & encompass a range that can be 49152 to 65534 (example from ProFTPD), but can also be manually set for a different range like 50000 to 60000.

In cases like that, port 21 would accept your connection but if the passive ports are blocked—which come into play during file transfer—no file transfer happens. Stung me a few times when I setup IPTables on a few servers & learned the hard way. Gotta have those passive ports accounted for on top of port 21.
  • skatebored
    halu...

in most 421 refer to massive activities from the same source.
    if youre using a ftp client now, then try to gain your ftp session from command prompt or shell first, just in case the problem is on your ftp app.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Hello Internet Forum!

Hello Internet Forum - Know an answer? Answer by signing up ;)